Junior End of Season Gathering
It was a packed clubhouse for the Junior End of Season gathering on Wednesday 11 October. Officials of the club, volunteers, parents, siblings, grandparents and Herbie Sloan, who is a benefactor of the junior section, attended.
The Captain, George Blenkinship, welcomed everyone and this was followed by a golf quiz by Mike Fletcher; some of the answer options had the audience laughing. Bethan, Gracie, George and Francesca’s team won with a total of 15 points. This was followed by Jamie presenting the prizes for The Geoff Rawson competition which was played in August.
* Winner was Kiel Worrall, runner up Thomas Hibbert and third place taken by Sophie Driver.
* 6 hole winner was Esme Logan who had a trick shot on the 9th hole. Her ball hit the clubhouse roof and ricocheted onto the green, two puts for a 3 net 0! 2nd place was Gracie Cutting and acpo gave William Rhodes third place.
* 3 hole winner was Grace Whitwell closely followed in second place by sister Ellie Whitwell. Luca Lanciotti came third.
* Best Putter was Nick Cunliffe and best Chipper was won by William Whitwell.
Jamie then presented 5 medals for exceptional golf this season:
* Most reduced handicap (by 18 shots) Harrison Jones
* Best swing William Whitwell
* Most consistent swing Gracie Cutting
* Best short game Nick Cunlifffe
* Most improved swing William Thornber.
Junior Captain Nick announced the new Junior Captain for 2017/2018 Sophie Driver.
All of our volunteers were thanked for their support again this year and this was followed by Julia’s wonderful food for everyone present.
The Carole Blackadder Competition had been rearranged several times due to a wet few weeks. However 20 juniors managed to play on a sunny Sunday morning 15 October.
The Captain welcomed Chris Blackaddder who sponsors the competition along with parents, juniors and volunteers to the presentation.
Chris presented the prizes.
Winner of the Carole Blackadder Claret Jug was James Pursglove
Runner up was Harrison Jones and third place was taken by Nick Cunliffe
The six hole winner was Gracie Cutting closely followed by Harvey Benfield and in third place William Whitwell
Ellie Whitwell won the three hole prize with Luca Lanciotti beating Grace Whitwell on acpo into second and third places.
James Stansfield was best Putter on the day and George Speakman-Dunford took the Chipping prize.
Chris gave all of the other competitors a sleeve of Titleist Golf Balls
The juniors had all enjoyed Julia’s special sausage and curly fries!
The weather was kind to the 24 juniors competing in our August Junior Open coming from clubs as far away as Royal Lytham.
Zak Sturgeon from Nelson won on a card playoff playing off the WHITE blocks. 86-24-62. Runner up Nathan Whalley from Greenmount 81-19-62. Winner the gross prize was Robert Kellett from Longridge 75-8-67. Winner off the RED blocks for players with handicaps of more than 28 was Ethan Townley from Towneley Park
102-36-66. Second and third places were taken by our junior members Aristo Wood and Junior Captain Nick Cunliffe with net 67 and 77.
Bethan Andrew and Liyana Laheri the only two girls who entered, both had a net 72.
Prizes were presented by Michael Taylor from ELGA Rob Harrison ELGA was also present on the day.
Another sunny Sunday afternoon for the Captain’s Junior Trophy at Whalley Golf Club. Captain George Blenkinship provided a prize table with prizes for all abilities.
Winner of Captain’s Trophy was Harrison Jones with runner up Kiel Worrall closely followed by Junior Captain Nick Cunliffe.
Winner of the six hole competition was Samuel Dinsdale who was playing in his first golf competition. Runner up Gracie Cutting on a card playoff with William Whitwell.
The three hole winner was Grace Whitwell second place was taken by Luca Lanciotti on a card playoff with Ellie Whitwell who came third.
Best Putter on the day was James Stansfield and Chipper of the day was Aggie Logan.
All other competitors received an engraved medal and ball marker from Captain Junior Captain thanked the Captain on behalf of all the juniors.
It was a sunny Sunday 2nd July for Presidents Junior Competition at Whalley Golf Club. Seventeen juniors competed. Some fabulous scores again.
Winner of Presidents Prize was James Stansfield followed close in second place Thomas Woodward. Harrison Jones featured in the prizes again coming third.
The 6 hole competition winner was Gracie Cutting playing to par. Runner up prize taken by Harvey Benfield and in third place Esme Logan on a card playoff.
Three holes won by William Rhodes, Grace Whitwell came second closely followed by Charlie Holmes.
Champion Chipper on the day was James Pursglove after a sudden death playoff with Evan Fensome. Best Putter prize taken by William Whitwell.
A presentation by President Bill Banks was made to a packed house!
Twenty two juniors played a 9 hole Stableford Competition on Sunday 11 June. Lots of good scores and handicap reductions.
Winner was Harrison Jones with 27points! Kiel Worrall was runner up with 21 points. Third place on a card playoff James Stansfield who scored 18 points with Bethan Andrew just missing out.
The Six hole Stableford was won by Gracie Cutting. Runner up was Aggie Logan.
William Whitwell took 3rd place on a card playoff with Will Hamer.
Luca Lanciotti played in his first competition and won the Three Holes. Archie Lorimer took second place with Grace Whitwell coming third.
Best chipper was William Rhodes and Charlie Holmes was champion putter.
Family and friends enjoyed an afternoon in the clubhouse.Juniors were served Julia’s special sausage and chips. Lady Captain Karen Thompson presented trophies to all of the winners. Junior Captain Nick Cunliffe thanked all competitors and organisers.
Twenty two juniors played a 9 hole Stableford Competition on a beautiful sunny Sunday 7 May. Lots of good scores and handicap reductions.
Winner was Kiel Worrall with 29 points! Sophie Driver was runner up with 28 points! Third place on a three way card playoff James Stansfield who scored 20 points.
The six hole Stableford was won by William Whitwell with 18 points! Runner up was Aggie Logan.
Gracie Cutting took 3rd place on a card playoff with Will Hamer.
Finlay Lorrimer put his new driver to good use winning the three hole competition. Rudy Hurlstone took second place with Archie Lorrimer coming third.
Best chipper was Esme Logan and Grace Whitwell won champion putter.
Family and friends enjoyed an afternoon relaxing in the sun on the balcony.Juniors enjoyed a Julia’s picnic box which was followed by prize presentation by Captain George Blenkinship. Junior Captain thanked all competitors and organisers.
Whalley Junior Captain Nick Cunliffe picked a beautiful spring Sunday morning for his Drive In.
This was followed with competitions for all abilities.
Winner of the Drive In Competition was James Stansfield, Thomas Woodward was runner up with last years Junior Captain Bethan Andrew taking third place.
The Six Hole Competition was won by Gracie Cutting. Esme Logan took the prize for the Three Hole Competition.
Best Putter on the day was Aggie Logan with Junior Captain winning the Chipping Prize.
A prize presentation by President Mr Bill Banks took place in the clubhouse following Julia’s yummy sausage and chips for all competitors.
End of Season…
An end of season get together took place in the clubhouse on Wednesday 19th October. Juniors, parents and volunteers enjoyed Julia’s special buffet. Jamie organised a quiz for the juniors on rules, etiquette and knowledge of the game which they all enjoyed. A presentation of prizes followed.
* The Geoff Rawson competition had been held on 18th September and the winner on a three way card playoff was Harrison Jones.
* In second place on acpo James Stansfield
* George Edwards came third and Bethan Andrew took the fourth spot.
All four played under their handicaps!
* Winner of the six hole competition was Will Hamer
* Harvey Benfield came first in the 3 hole competition with William Whitwell being runner up.
* Best Chipper trophy went to Gracie Cutting with Nick Cunliffe winning the Putting Competition trophy.
The afternoon was rounded off by Junior Captain Bethan announcing that Nicholas Cunliffe will take over the role at the AGM. Bethan presented the Junior Captain Badge to Nick who then said a few words of thanks.
Carole Blackadder Claret Jug Junior Competition
18 juniors took part in various competitions on the Carole Blackadder Claret Jug Junior Day. Captain Richard Ferley presented the prizes.
* The Claret Jug was won on acpo by Sophie Driver. Runner up Thomas Woodward and 3rd place was taken by James Stansfield
* The 5 hole competition was won by Gracie Cutting with Evan Fensome being runner up.
* The 3 hole winner was Rudy Hurlstone and Aggie Logan came second.
* Best chipper on the day was little William Whitwell
* The expert putter was Esme Logan
Chris Blackadder provided the beautiful silver claret jug along with sleeves of balls for all 18 competitors. Julia’s special buffet was enjoyed by all.
Sunday 21st August - Junior Stableford Competition
Whalley Golf Club Junior Stableford Competition took place on Sunday morning.
* Winner was Daniel Holmes who has reduced his handicap over the last week from 45 to 28. Nick Cunliffe was runner up and James Lightbown took third place.
* The 5 hole competition for younger players was won by Will Hamer. He clinched the prize by parring the par 3 last hole net 0 for 5 points! Gracie Cutting was runner up.
* William Rhodes won the 3 hole comp with Rudy Hurlstone coming second.
* Kiel Worrall took the prize for chipping and James Stansfield was the putter of the day
Julia’s sandwiches and curly fries were enjoyed by all!
Sunday 24th July – Junior Captain’s Trophy
Captain Mr Richard Ferley hosted his Captains Prize for Juniors on Sunday. Fifteen juniors took part in various competitions to suit all abilities.
* The Captains Trophy was won by George Edwards, runner up was Thomas Woodward. Third place was taken on a card play off by Nick Cunliffe.
* The three hole competition was won by Gracie Cutting and on a card play off second place was taken by Esme Logan.
* Jack Hall won the one hole trophy
* The best putter on the day was Will Hamer and Aggie Logan won the chipping contest.
Junior Captain Bethan Andrew thanked the Captain on behalf of the juniors. All enjoyed refreshments following the presentation.
Sunday 3rd July – President’s Junior Prize competition
President of Whalley Golf Club, Mr John Slinger, hosted his President’s Junior Prize competition on Sunday 3rd July. Twenty two juniors competed for various prizes.
* Presidents Junior Prize was won by Daniel Holmes, runner up was James Stansfield and in third place Sophie Driver.
* Three Hole Competition was won by Gracie Cutting and Will Hamer was runner up.
* Joint winners for the One Hole Competition were Oliver Askew and William Whitwell.
* Best Putter won by Esme Logan and Best Chipper was won by Aggie Logan.
All competitors received a ‘goody bag’. President kindly provided refreshments for everyone prior to the presentation. Junior Captain Bethan Andrew thanked the President on behalf of the juniors.
Wednesday 1st June – 9 hole Stableford Competition
Eight Juniors took part. Winner was Daniel Holmes, runner up Sophie Driver and in third place Nick Cunliffe. Past Captain Roger Lee was on hand to present the prizes in an informal setting on our balcony
Sunday 8th May – Stableford Competition. 17 Juniors played in the Competition. Lady Captain presented the prizes following the event. Several of our adult members and helpers walked round with the Juniors to mark their cards and advise on rules etc. Big thank you to all of them.
The Junior Captain’s Drive-in was won by the Junior Captain, Bethan Andrew. The runner up was Ben Dowds and Tobias Dean took third place.
Junior Open – Monday 17th August 2015
Juniors Captain’s Trophy Sunday 19th July 2015
6 juniors took part in the 9 hole Stableford Competition and the results were as follows:
1st Junior Captain Taylor Linford 21points
2nd Aristo Wood 20 points
Many thanks to Captain Roger Lee for providing the prizes and his continued support and interest in the Junior members.
Junior President’s Day Competition
There were 10 juniors competing on Sunday 21st June 2015 in the afternoon and the weather stayed fine, if a little cold.
Many thanks to President for providing the prizes and Lorna for the welcome refreshments at the conclusion of the event.
All the juniors played well and the results were as follows:
!st Junior Captain Taylor Linford 18pts
2nd Ben Dowds 17pts
3rd Aristo Wood 12pts
Girls Prize Sophie Driver 12pts
Thanks also to Captain, Lady Captain and members for their support, the adults who walked round with the juniors helping them with rules and scoring and the parents for their continued enthusiasm.